OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

What is best way to diagnose and treat? Have not seen a

Customer Question
what is best way to...
what is best way to diagnose and treat?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Have not seen a doctor this time, but have been treated for several yeast and bladder infections over the past few years. Symptoms may go away temporarily but then will always reoccur. I take several medications daily, strattera, prozac, and synthroid.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: not that I can think of
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
10/17/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry to hear that you are having recurrent yeast infections. Please provide some additional information so I may better help you.

Are you Male or female? What is your age? If female, do you douche?

There are several reasons for getting yeast infections. One is that you have elevated glucose levels (diabetes, pre-diabetes). Wearing underwear made with polyester rather than cotton. If female, changing the normal flora in your vagina by douching. Using scented bath products. Any of these can cause or increase the frequency of infections. I will await your response to my questions.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am a 47 year old female. I do not normally dousch. I have been through the soap & tight fit clothing routine. This does not help either way. I have been with my husband for 25 years w no other sexual partners. I also doubt that it is a yeast infection. Seems more like it is BV.... no itching. Discharge has a grayish/green tint and definitely a distinctive odor. Seems to worsen with sexual intercoarse.

Your description is that of BV or Trichomoniasis. Both of which require an antibiotic, Metronidazole for the two of you and absolutely no douching. May I suggest you schedule an appointment with your PCP or GYN to get evaluated and treated. Your GYN should have no problem prescribing for the two of you.

Dr Stan
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor