Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I was just reading an old post on DHEA-Sulfate levels and

Customer Question

Hello, I was just reading an old post on DHEA-Sulfate levels and PCOS causing hair loss. My OBGYN prescribed BCPs to help with the hormone levels, but are there any supplements I can take to help stop the hair loss or regrow hair?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I was just diagnosed with PCOS based on DHEA-S levels being 333 and was put on BCP. The lab results were given over the phone, so I couldnt ask my normal OBGYN about stopping or reversing hair loss.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Diagnosis of PCOS was preceded by weight gain, increase in anxiety and insomnia, and noticeable hair loss.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr David replied 11 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

eating protein in your diet, regular exercise and getting enough sleep, drinking plenty of water and avoiding smoking and alcohol can help you grow more hair.

some people take biotin supplements

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I already had been doing all of those things, with the exception of the biotin, which I just started a few days ago, plus I take fish oil + vitamin D daily. Since I already eat 90-100 grams of protein, drink about 86oz of water a day, don't smoke, have cut back on alcohol, and get as much sleep as I can, anything else you can suggest? If the hormone levels are regulated through the BCP, will the hair loss stop?

yes, the birth control pills regulating hormones in your body can help with hair loss