How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. C. Your Own Question
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 2537
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question may possible be a difficult one as so far I have

Customer Question

My question may possible be a difficult one as so far I have not found a doctor that was able to diagnose my problem to wear I could get some relief. It all started about 2 years after I had my son. I noticed after my menstrual I started to have issues with itching and a little bit of redness. I assumed I had a yeast infection so I started to use over the counter yeast medicine. After about a week or so my symptoms went away that is until the next month when my menstrual came back, and so did the itching and the inflammation. I then went to the doctor where he told me just to use some hydrocortizone which I did for many months. The symptoms started to get more intense so I then went back to the gyn. Over the course of the next 2 years I was put on 2 steriod medications, an anti fungal, Estrogen creme and a multitude of tests. All came back negative. We then went forth with a biopsy which showed spongiotic dermatitis, probable cause allergic responce. So I made special attention to make sure that no shampoo or soap touched the area even went as far as to use bottled water in case there was something in my water that I was allergic to. I also had patch testing done on my back which were all negative with the exception of nickle. There were a doctor or 2 along the way that said maybe I had Lichen Scherosus, Sjogren's Syndrome or auto immune progesterone dermatitis but I do not know what kind of doctor to go see to confirm any of these. I have been to multiple Gyn's and 2 dermotologist with no results. No-one really seemed to know what to do despite what they were seeing and time after time I was prescribed the same medication just by different doctors. The steriod medication helps once in a while when it doesn't burn. Cannot use any antifungal because that just feels like acid being poured on my skin. I also forgot to mention that during this whole time my vagina is estrogenized but in the vulva area and vaginal opening(which is where I am primarily getting my symptoms) is completely dry. When I was in my 20's I always had moisture there but then 2 yrs after my son about (30 yrs old) I had nothing. I have had this now for about 14 years & the intensity of the itching & inflammation is super bad that some days I just cry & can hardly walk. Please help with any suggestions or things that my doctors could try to test for or any medications that you think could help control the itching/ burning/ inflammation. Whatever this is, is started when I was about 30 and always started around my menstrual. About 10 days afterwards my moisture finally came back & things started to feel better but unfortunately year after year I now seem to have it all month because of how severe it has gotten. Thank you for your time & help
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  khagihara replied 11 months ago.

Is your stress increased at home or work just before the symptom started? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any other medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
About the typical stress levels. I'm 5 6" and about 185lbs but 13 years ago when symptoms started I was about 150lbs . No medical problems besides Irritable Bowel Syndrome. No surgeries and no medications. I do drink green tea with ginseng that is pre made in the grocery store. Other than that I am pretty healthy.
Expert:  khagihara replied 11 months ago.

Do you feel it after day 14 (ovulation date) from the first day of the period?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have been dealing with this for about 13 years now and for the first half of those years once I started ovulating (about 14 days after menstrual started) and my secretions came back the symptoms would subside until my next menstrual. For the last half of those years I would still have some symptoms after ovulation. I believe its because I have had it for so long and the inflammation is worse then when I first started so it doesn't go away as easily anymore. The symptoms still ease up to some degree jut not completely like they use to.
Expert:  khagihara replied 11 months ago.

When did you start to drink green tea with ginseng?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I would say it was about 8 or 9 years with the green tea with ginseng. Before that was just regular black tea that I boiled at home. I've had the gyn problem for 13 years.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 11 months ago.

You have vulvodynia and need to see a specialist in vulvodynia. If you would like to let me know what large city you are near, I can help you with that. You will not get much help with an online q and a service.