OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I have had repeated urine infections and was told when I had

Customer Question
a pap smear that my...
I have had repeated urine infections and was told when I had a pap smear that my bladder was prolapsing. This was a couple of weeks ago and I don't have an appt. with my urologist until Oct. 10th. Nothing is protruding yet but if I insert a finger I can push it a little because it is getting close to coming out. Can I safely use a tampon until I see my urologist?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I am taking nitrofuratoin for infection.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No vaginal birth; had a c-section in 1973. I am 68 years old. Pap was normal.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
9/19/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 1 year ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

You can safely use a tampon. You may or may not want to do so, but if something is protruding, it may be helpful for you to use a tampon.

A prolapsed bladder may not cause much problem, but it can lead to bladder infections due to incomplete emptying of the bladder.

If a prolapsed bladder does need treatment, it's usually done with surgery. Best wishes.

Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN