Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

17 yr old girl who is missing three months of menstruation.

Customer Question

17 yr old girl who is missing three months of menstruation. She is not pregnant and is overweight.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 11 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about the patient in question. Can i ask does she have any other symptoms like changes in appetite? slowed reflexes? Has the weight been gained recently? Any other symptoms which you may want to mention?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She has gained 20 pounds in a year. She complains of back pain.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is it possible she has a metabolic condition that causes her weight gain and menstruation abnormalities/

Thank you for the additional information, ill just compose my answer and get back to you in few minutes!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Cannot pay any more, would like an answer based on information I offered.

Well you are right in suspecting metabolic issues as the weight gain and the menstruation issues can certainly be linked to each other. The first thjing which comes to mind in this regard is that she could have athyroid problem which is causing the symptoms. Hypothyroidism can certainly cause changes in her periods and also cause weight gain, slowed reflexes, fatigue etc. this can be easily checked with the help of a simple thyroid function test. This would then be managed with a simple hormone replacement regimen.

Another cause of these symptoms can be associated with the adrenal glands. if her adrenal glands are producing more cortisol then usual that again would cause weight gain, weakned bones, fat around the belly among many other symptoms. this is known as cushings syndrome. This would be managed with the help of a several tests including a 24 hour urinary cortisol level.

Lastly these symptoms can also be the result of underlying problems with reproductive hormones like FSH and LH, PCOS or polycystic ovarian syndrome can sometimes also present in this manner and a simple ultrasound would be beneficial here.

Diabetes is one more condition which comes to mind here as well. the best solution here would be to see her doctor and discuss these possibilities with him, and if the initial tests point towards these then she should be referred to an endocrinologist.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.