OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I got my period on august 15-20 a regular flow then two

Hi i got my period...
Hi i got my period on august 15-20 a regular flow then two weeks later i started bleeding again and continued until now ( I'm currently at day 15 ) the bleeding ranges but is mostly really light and it only occurs during the afternoon nothing in the morning and nothing overnight. I took 2 at home pregnancy tests both came up negative and went to my GYNO about it. He said my pre. test came up negative also and iit is breakthrough ovulation so i shouldn't worry but I'm worried. How long does this last? Is it ok to break though when I'm not on the pill/birth controls? Can someone explain to me what breakthrough ovulation is? Also I was wondering if breakthrough ovulation is a bad time to have sex when NOT planning a baby/ if theres a chance i can still be pregnant?? i have no other symptoms.
9/15/2016
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you!

I'm glad you saw your gyn doctor and found out you have breakthrough ovulation bleeding.

this can vary in patient to patient and can last days to weeks sometimes.

yes, it is ok to breakthrough ovulation bleeding if you are not on the pill.

during ovulation, you have hormone changes which can affect the lining of the uterus and can cause bleeding in some women in some months.

yes, this is a bad time to have sex. you don't want to have sex close to ovulation time if you don't want to get pregnant.

you should use contraception.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you and can there still be a chance of pregnancy or is that ruled out after getting a professional test by the gyno done?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
your response helped relieved anxiety a lot

pregnancy was rule out by your home tests and your doctor's blood tests.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr David
Dr David, Doctor
Dr David
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor