Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am 41 turning 42 in 5 months, about 6 months ago I skipped

Customer Question

I am 41 turning 42 in 5 months, about 6 months ago I skipped my period for a month, I thought I was pregnant and took several test which all came out negative. The next month I had my period and haven't skipped anymore since then. I did notice a couple months after that I felt a warm sensation in my upper body and started to feel anxiety and thought something else was wrong, it only last for a couple of days then I was fine. I just got over my cycle for this month and then I got that same warm feeling and anxiety feeling this time seemed to be worse, followed by chills and sweaty and clammy hands and feet. I have no fever and don't feel sick but I really thought something worse was wrong. I think I have night sweats but I don't wake up with drenched sheets, I just feel sweaty in between my legs and sometimes in between my breast. A few days ago we were on our way back from a trip and felt sad and wanted to cry for no reason. The next day after getting home I woke up feeling sad and started to cry a little and today when I woke up I felt fine so crying no anxiety. And perimenopause turn on one day and off the next?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Medicine specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

What is your query exactly ?

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With everything I said could I be experiencing perimenopause? Can you feel good one day and then not the next?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Yes definitely with the estrogen levels fluctuating these signs and symptoms are suggestive of a perimenopausal period.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Crying for no reason, the warm feeling in my upper body the anxiety attacks, sweaty and clammy hands and feet with sometimes chills are all signs of perimenopause then? And couldn't be anything else? Cause I don't feel sick like with a sore throat, fever or swallon glands I've been making myself go crazy that it's something else but overall I feel fine
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

This is definitely not a sign of a systemic disease. It looks more physiologicals with the hormonal changes or signs of depression.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can depression turn on and off? Cause two days ago I felt sad and cried my eyes out, yesterday I just cried a little in the morning and this morning nothing just a little anxiety and clammy hands and feet. Also I have never taken any birth control pills in my life, can that make perimenopause to come sooner rather then later and make it feel maybe worse? And after this last "attack" I started to take estroven and have been on it for about 5 days now I know it takes time to get into your system but I was still feeling bad so I went and got some valerian root and St johns wort to help with all thr anxiety. By taking those am I heading in thr right direction on feeling better?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Yes , you can take Valerian root and St john wort .

It would take some time for the estrogen to act.

Perimenopausal state is unpredictable and not related to the intake of birth control pills.

Depression can definitely turn on and off in a few days.

Do evaluate with a psychologists.

Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

If you Agree with what I have mentioned, would you like me to release the rating service application on your page so you can leave me a feedback for my opinion provided

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for all your insight I appreciate it. I feel a little better knowing that it's most likely perimenopause and nothing else. I'm trying to not go to a doctor cause money and I want to try more of a natural way to deal with this, but when do you recommend I see someone, like are there certain things to look for that tell me I should see someone? Sorry I hope that all makes sense.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you left?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you still have your periods if your body goes through perimenopause?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your messages.

Yes in the perimenopausal state periods can definitely come and go . There may be disturbance in the periods once in a while.

I would recommend you to meet the Endocrinologist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does an endocrinologist do? And why do you recommend me meeting one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I am having hot flashes, do you get the chills too during and after you feel warm, and when I am having this feeling my hands and feet start to get clammy answer sweaty but I do not sweat from my forehead or armpits. What do you think this all sounds like?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Endocrinologist is a doctor who deals with hormonal issues.

This definitely sounds like a perimenopausal symptoms and manifestations.

Regards

Dr Pravin

Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am awaiting a reply from your end.

Please do let me know if you have any further queries.
Regards

Dr Pravin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to the hospital last night cause it got so intense, they gave me a form of Valium to help with the anxiety attacks, they checked my thyroid, white blood cells, pregnancy, and lyctolites, everything came bad good, they said next step was to get my hormones checked, and since I've been crying so much they recommend a therapist of some sort but I don't think that's what I need. I'm just crying cause I don't like feeling thr way I do and it scares me. So thank you for all your insight, I've really appreciate it.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Do you want me to release the rating service application on your page ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also my hot flashes that I think I'm having, I'm not even sure if that's what they are, I do have an overwhelming feeling that seems to rise in my chest and up ward but I do not sweather like other women have told me they do, I just start to get through chills and my feet and hands are clammy, what do you think that means
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

The clammy feeling and chills can be part of the hot flushes due to hormonal fluctuations of peri menopausal period .

This can be exaggerated by anxiety and will reduce with valium.

Do let me know if you have any further queries.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since I'm still menstrating, should I not have any hormone test done since it probably won't be very accurate? What do you think?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for your query.

You can do the Estradiol , DHEAS , LH , FSH test , tests done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last week I was a wreck, excessive crying, the over whelming warm feeling, then anxiety attacks, and this week nothing? Is that normal in perimenopuase?