Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I just had sex and cannot get the morning after pill as its

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I just had sex and cannot get the morning after pill as its banned here in my country i started marvelon 4 days ago
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?
Customer: good health and yes first time
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Which country are you in?

Did you start the Marvelon on the first day of a period?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am in Dubai . i started marvelon the 7th of september and I had my period from the 31st to the 4th september .

Since the Marvelon was started a week after the start of the period, it would not have that much effectiveness by the time of a sexual encounter 4 days later.

If the morning after pill is not available, the next choice would be a combined birth control pill with levonorgestrel as the progestin. If none of those are available, then the next choice would be a combined birth control pill with norgestrel as the progestin.

Let me see if I can find whether there is a combined birth control pill available in Dubai that contains either of these progestins. I will post again once I can find what may be available in Dubai.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you so much ! U saving my life !

I will post again once I have found what is available in Dubai.

I am sorry for the delay, but finding information about medicines in Dubai written in English was a challenge.

Apparently there are no combined birth control pills available in Dubai that contain either levonorpestrel or norgestrel. At this point, the only option would be to use a higher dose of the Marvelon. The use of combined birth control pills that use other progestins are usually not recommended for emergency contraception, but this may be the best that would be available in Dubai. You can take 4 pills now and then another 4 pills in 12 hours, and then continue the pills as one pill per day.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.