How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. C. Your Own Question
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 2537
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think I may have an yeast infection, I have but they claim

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I think I may have an yeast infection
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have but they claim that there's nothing their. However from time to time I experience itchiness and burning down their esp during and before my period it drives me nuts! I'm not taking any meds I want to treat this naturally I don't want to take meds
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: Very irregular. I have a hormonal imbalance. Right now I'm not in any pain but there's a lot of itchiness
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have had a history of urine infections that were very painful but never had an issue with a yeast infection
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. Have you been having any abnormal vaginal discharge? Did the doctor you saw test you for a yeast infection?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not really. Yes they tested me for a yeast infection
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

Yeast infections are very common. Are you willing to try an over-the-counter topical cream?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will it remove the infection completely? Or just treat the symptoms
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

Many women self treat for vaginal yeast infections using monistat cream. It is available at most drugstores and is used for either 3 days or 7 days depending on which one you choose. There are creams and vaginal suppositories that both work equally well.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
after using this cream if my symptoms are still their what is the next step?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

If it is fungal in nature (i.e. a yeast infection) it should clear completely. If it doesn't there is either a resistant strain (which is not too common) or your symptoms are from something else.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What is a resistant strain?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

You could either retreat with a diferent agent, or return to your GP or GYN and ask for a repeat test. There is also a pill available (fluconazole) that you only have to take once to clear a yeast infection.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

A resistant strain is one that has figured out a way around the antifungal cream such that it does not clear completely.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If I use the cream, and it doesn't work, can I still take the fluconazole pill?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

Absolutely, though the pill requires a prescription.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, thank you Dr. Bob this was very helpful. I appreciate your time and support!
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best. Be sure to follow up with your GP if things do not improve.