Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I've been experiencing pain on my left lower abdomen for

Customer Question

I've been experiencing pain on my left lower abdomen for months. I went for a transvaginal ultrasound and I was just told that I have a 3.4 cm on my left ovary. Should I be concerned?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I've had it for several months. The pain is always there, just becomes stronger or more dull from time to time. HOWEVER, I became more concerned after the pain worsened during intimacy with my husband yesterday. same lower left side of my stomach
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No ma'am
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask are you talking about a 3.4 cm cyst on your ovary? Also do you have any discharge? any urinary symptoms? Did they tell you whether the ovary was a simple one or complex one? what is your age?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on two consecutive days last week I have a watery clear discharge (but I believe I was ovulating) I'm 26 years old.
YES. Doctor confirmed today that there's a 3.4 cm cyst on my left ovary. No urinary symptoms.

Thank you for the additional symptoms. Ill just write a response and get back to you in a few minutes!!!

Well the ovarian cyst can certainly be the cause of the pain which you have been experiencing and it sometimes can cause pain which worsens after sexual intercourse. This can sometimes occur for several days at a time and then subside on its own. Now the treatment for this would be surgery to remove the cyst especially if the cyst is complex in nature.

Apart from the cyst, it is possible that you may have a problem with pelvic inflammatory disease which can cause discharge lower abdominal pain which worsens after sexual intercourse. This would be picked up on the ultrasound as well as with a high vaginal swab.

But i think it is the cyst which would be causing you the pain and in most cases this is completely benign in nature, most simple cysts can regress even with hormonal therapy which would be the first line of action here and if it is a complex cyst then it may have to be biopsied or other tests would be done. At the moment i dont think you should be concerned as most cysts are completely benign and the pain associated with them can be effectively controlled with medication.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PID? I doubt it. I have no odor. Not burning or itching? I've never had an STD and neither has my husband. and I've only been with him. The pain worsened on the same side during intercourse. The nurse that I spoke with on the phone at my doctors office said the pain I experience during intercourse is more than likely related to this cyst.

Yes i agree with you if you read my above response, i said that it is likely that the cyst is the cause for your pain. I mentioned the PID as that should be excluded, as it can occur due to infections NOT related to STDs and can occur even without odor and burning, PID which involves the fallopian tubes etc would not cause the usual symptoms. But i do agree with your doctor that it is likely the cyst which is causing the pain, the PID is one possibility which shouldnt be overlooked that is all. As far as the cyst is concerned, as i said simple cysts can be treated with hormonal therapy but complex cysts require more tests which can inlcude blood tests and even a biopsy in some cases. But by and large they are not any thing to be concerned about, just confirm the nature of the cyst with your doctor, if it is simple or complex.

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.