How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Norm S. Your Own Question
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 11235
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Norm S. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Owen, I read part of your answer for retracting or

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Owen, I read part of your answer for retracting or disappearing clitoris but I'm not sure if that fits me...I'm married, 6 children, 36 years old, African american woman never any health problems, and about 3 months ago noticed my clitoris is gone inside way inside I can't even feel the elongation through the top of the hood shaft leading to the opening if the hood.. Its like it was removed.. I'm completely scared...I'm going to go to the GYN but I thought I'd ask. What could be wrong?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Some pictures for view
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 11 months ago.

I think that the most likely cause of your clitoris disappearing is a condition called lichen sclerosus. It tends to affect the labia and clitoral areas, and will usually cause the tissuess to be slightly whitened. Lichen sclerosus causes the labia and clitoral hood to shrink and disappear.

It's a little difficult to be sure from the pictures, but a real life exam would be able to know.

If it is lichen sclerosus, it's a skin condition of unknown origien. It can be treated by certain high potency steroid creams. It often causes itching, but not always.

I would recommend seeing a good OB/GYN doctor for evaluation. Best wishes.