OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Would like to know if a person suffering from panic disorder

Customer Question
Hello,Would like to know if...
Hello,Would like to know if a person suffering from panic disorder will have any effect on the menstrual cycle? Meaning spotting, brown discharge or delay in period?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
9/5/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Anthony Bray MD, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Anthony Bray MD

Hello!

Not panic attacks specifically but anxiety may impact hormonal cycles -- yes to that ... These effects may lead to irregularities noted in your menstrual cycle.

I hope this is helpful for you

Let me know If you have further questions

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Doctor,My period due date is usually on the 3rd of every month. In other words, my last accurate period was on 3rd of July. So my next period should fall on the 3rd of August. However, I fell sick and was down with fever and flu on 3rd of August which delayed my period to 11 August.Question 1:Should I expect my next period to fall on 3rd of Sep or 11th of Sep?For the past 2 weeks (22nd August - 3rd September) I have been doing quite intense exercising to train my abs muscle. No running, just static exercise to work on my tummy and abs. (I haven been exercising for quite some time) I then experience very minimal brown spotting between 2nd-3rd Sep. Once a day. On 4th of sep, I experience some discharge flow that was close to red color but with slight tinge of brown and it filled up slightly half my pad during the night while I was asleep.*i don't feel much cramp*Question 2:Is this my period or brown discharge?Question 3:Is this normal? And does the sudden exercising cause this (whatever I am experiencing) to happen?

Hello !

It sounds that you may have had some interruption of your normal ovulation cycle ... So you had some disruption of your normal cycle already --- period 8/11...

Minimal brown spotting could be symptoms of less estrogen to thicken the endometrium...

So this may be less predictable with this month it seems ... You may have more of menstrual flow in next week but it may remain very light this month ..

More likely to be more normal and reset back to a normal cycle by next month I think but this month less predictable ...

I hope this is helpful for you

Let me know If you have further questions or concerns

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Not caused by your exercise ...no to that ...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you saying that as for my question 2, you are not very certain as to whether if it's a discharge or a light menses flow? Last night that was some flow that was blood like color but there was a slight tinge or brownish color too. Are they discharge or menses? Are all these symptoms a cause for concern? Or are they quite common?

Hello ---last night some blood like color to bown >> light period

Dried blood is brown

Yes it is common ...

No reason to be concerned from history so far no ...

I hope this is helpful for you

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
For very light period can it just be for a day or so? Last night it was reddish brown but this morning it became brown. So am wondering if light period can be just a day or so?

Hello -

Sure a light period may be only a day or so ..

That sounds consistent with what you describe...

Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Doctor