Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I had sex 6 weeks ago, and it caused orange tinge in my

Customer Question

I had sex 6 weeks ago, and it caused orange tinge in my discharge after 2 weeks. I got a normal period (on rigevidon, lasts 4 days, light flow). Today (day 10 of pills) there were two streaks of blood in my discharge. I have had bv in past, so my discharge color ranges from clear colorless to yellow and thick but not smelly or itchy... I had std testing a few years ago that said I was clear, and then a couple years ago they said they thought I had both Chlamydia and gonorrhea, but I called my old gyn who said that wasn't possible as they had tested me 3 times in 1.5 years and until recently I hadn't had sex. I haven't been tested since the Las sexual encounter. Worried I could have something or maybe even be pregnant (although I got my 'normal' period and never missed a pill. The encounter was at day 4 of my previous cycle. Don't think condom broke, but never too sure.
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: 28-30 days, no pain, sometimes itchy
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not that I know of
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. If you only had a single encounter and used a condom, your chances of having picked up an STD is very low. If you are also on the pill and have been taking it regularly, your chances of being pregnant are virtually nil. So while I would consider it very unlikely that your current discharge is sexually related, it makes sense to get tested just for the reassurance alone. If it is BV, this can easily be treated with metronidazole cream or pills.