OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I'm having horrible burning. This is my second time using

Customer Question
Monostat in 3 days. Does...
I'm having horrible burning. This is my second time using Monostat in 3 days. Does it burn more when it is working
JA: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?
Customer: Possibly a little itching but mostly really bad burning. Like almost a 10 in pain
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Don't think so I get yeast infections about 3 times year and have had uti so in usually pretty sure what it is. I have not had unprotected sex in the past 6 months
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
8/26/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 1 year ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

Monistat doesn't burn more when it's working. If it's burning more, that usually means that you're having an allergic reaction to the Monistat, which is not unusual.

An allergic reaction tends to build up after using a product a number of times. The body develops the allergic reaction, which causes the burning.

Assuming that this was a yeast infection, the yeast infection is most likely resolved by the Monistat. Now it's mostly a matter of getting over the allergic reaction.

Sitting in water with epsom salts is usually soothing and healing, regardless of the cause of the irritation. If you do that 2-3 times a day, hopefully the burning will be better by tomorrow, and will be mostly gone within 3 days. You can also put on some 1% hydrocortisone cream after sitting in the epsom salt baths. Best wishes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You think it's just a allergic reaction or something else could be going on. I just never had that type of pain before

When pain increases after applying medication, that sounds like an allergic reaction.

It's possible that something else is going on. If so, the most likely would probably be genital herpes, which can cause severe burning. That seems unlikely if you haven't had sex for the past 6 months, but it's possible if you've had sex protected by a condom, since the condom may not cover the area where the herpes virus is contacting the skin.

If it was genital herpes, you would usually be able to see small ulcers, but you might have to look carefully, and they might be inside.

Either way, the epsom salt baths should help a lot. If it's not much better in a day, I would see your doctor.

Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN