How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask khagihara Your Own Question
khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 6590
Experience:  Trained in OB & GYN for many years.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
khagihara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had a burning sensation in my genital area for a few

Customer Question

I have had a burning sensation in my genital area for a few months now. It also causes a need to urinate feeling. I have had pap, urine, blood tests. All negative. I've been treated to yeast infection internally and externally. I will have a good day...and think it's getting better...and then it's back with a vengeance. I've been given a steroid ointment to apply to sometimes....makes it worse others. I'm over 60. This is consuming me all day....every day. My doctor doesn't know what to do...
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  khagihara replied 10 months ago.

You seem to have generalized vulvodynia which is a type of vulvar pain syndrome usually characterized by unprovoked, constant, burning pain involving most of the vulva (labia majora, labia minora, clitoris, and often the vestibule). It occurs in the absence of relevant visible infectious, inflammatory, or neoplastic findings and in the absence of a specific clinically identifiable, neurologic disorder. Patients frequently experience great difficulty describing and localizing their pain and often believe they have a constant yeast infection. Other symptoms include constant irritation, a raw sensation, the feeling of grating or sandpaper, the sensation of continual swelling, or feeling as if they are sitting on a hard ball or knot.

For women with provoked localized vulvar pain, with or without pelvic floor hypertonicity, we suggest pelvic floor muscle rehabilitation and topical lidocaine ointment as first-line therapy.

For women with unprovoked vulvar pain, we suggest tricyclic antidepressants as first line pharmacologic therapy. We start at 10 mg once a day at bedtime and increase the dose by 10 mg every five days to 100 to 150 mg at bedtime. A dose of nortriptyline 100 to 150 mg for three months without improvement would prompt us to taper and then discontinue the drug, and switch to another agent.

Our second-line choice is gabapentin. Using combinations of drugs may be effective when single-agent therapy fails, but must be done cautiously, given the significant side effects of these drugs. Our preference is to start with topical lidocaine and gabapentin.

Local nerve block may be effective for women who have not achieved adequate pain relief from pharmacologic therapy.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you, I will go over this with my doctor.
Expert:  khagihara replied 10 months ago.

You are welcome. Please rate my answer. Thank you.