OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I have had a burning sensation in my genital area for a few

Customer Question
months now. It also...
I have had a burning sensation in my genital area for a few months now. It also causes a need to urinate feeling. I have had pap, urine, blood tests. All negative. I've been treated to yeast infection internally and externally. I will have a good day...and think it's getting better...and then it's back with a vengeance. I've been given a steroid ointment to apply to area....works sometimes....makes it worse others. I'm over 60. This is consuming me all day....every day. My doctor doesn't know what to do...
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
8/26/2016
OB GYN Doctor: khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 1 year ago
khagihara
khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)

You seem to have generalized vulvodynia which is a type of vulvar pain syndrome usually characterized by unprovoked, constant, burning pain involving most of the vulva (labia majora, labia minora, clitoris, and often the vestibule). It occurs in the absence of relevant visible infectious, inflammatory, or neoplastic findings and in the absence of a specific clinically identifiable, neurologic disorder. Patients frequently experience great difficulty describing and localizing their pain and often believe they have a constant yeast infection. Other symptoms include constant irritation, a raw sensation, the feeling of grating or sandpaper, the sensation of continual swelling, or feeling as if they are sitting on a hard ball or knot.

For women with provoked localized vulvar pain, with or without pelvic floor hypertonicity, we suggest pelvic floor muscle rehabilitation and topical lidocaine ointment as first-line therapy.

For women with unprovoked vulvar pain, we suggest tricyclic antidepressants as first line pharmacologic therapy. We start at 10 mg once a day at bedtime and increase the dose by 10 mg every five days to 100 to 150 mg at bedtime. A dose of nortriptyline 100 to 150 mg for three months without improvement would prompt us to taper and then discontinue the drug, and switch to another agent.

Our second-line choice is gabapentin. Using combinations of drugs may be effective when single-agent therapy fails, but must be done cautiously, given the significant side effects of these drugs. Our preference is to start with topical lidocaine and gabapentin.

Local nerve block may be effective for women who have not achieved adequate pain relief from pharmacologic therapy.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, I will go over this with my doctor.

You are welcome. Please rate my answer. Thank you.

khagihara
khagihara
khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)