OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I am 52 and al of a sudden I have a normal period. In the

Customer Question
Hi I am 52 and...
Hi I am 52 and al of a sudden I have a normal period. In the last year I had a marena inserted because I was anemic and low haemoglobin. It has been on going spots and longer periods since the operation. then missed for a couple of months and now it has been a week since bleeding and it is not really heavy but normal. Can you help please
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: I always lower back pain when I have my period, and it was not until I was 49 that I started feeling the pain. In the last few months it was ongoing spots and I would miss a month and then on again.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not really, I had my tubes tied when my now 18 year old was born.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
8/25/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr David, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr. David

it sounds like you are having bad breakthrough bleeding after having your mirena placed and not having a period for a year.

this can happen and can be 100% normal.

after a year of no period, the uterine lining can build up and can come out with a heavy period.

you should see a doctor and get your hemoglobin levels and ferritin and iron levels checked again.

you could be getting close to perimenopausal state as well

let me know if you have questions.

Dr. C.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified