How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Tim, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD, Board Cert. OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 1007
Experience:  General OB/GYN, complicated obstetrics, complicated GYN
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Tim, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a hysterectomy over 10 years ago with removal of

Customer Question

I had a hysterectomy over 10 years ago with removal of uterus and cervix..I still have ovaries and am on climara patch..recently started having sex..hes a bit long and hits something way inside and even got a scratch on his penis...what the heck is he hitting? My obgyn says I look ok in there and gave me estradiol creme to help with he hitting my vaginal cuff? Does it just need to be softened and stretched? Also my vagina is starting to ache since using estradiol
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Tim, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.

It is possible that during the hysterectomy, especially if there was ANY repair of prolapse related issues, that there might be some permanent suture that is poking through the skin at the top of the vagina. If this is not the case, then it is just the line of scar tissue related to the vaginal cuff that he is hitting. With a vaginal hysterectomy there can also be a slight shortening of the vagina that may be exacerbated by his length. Here is what can be done:

1. I would go in to another OB/GYN and get a second opinion. Describe exactly what is going on and have them perform an exam and make sure that they cannot feel any suture.

2. There are other options besides the estradiol cream. Ask an OB/GYN about E-string or Vagifem tablets. These would work just as well and be less irritating

3. Pick up a product over the counter called Replens made by KY and see if this helps

4. If vaginal dryness is an issue, also consider a lubricant called Astroglide

5. Yes, you can have an experienced OB/GYN prescribe vaginal dilators and these can be used to 'stretch' the vagina somewhat

Does this help?

Dr. Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will get examined again..could a stitch stay there that long? I know whatever he pokes hurts him and the scratch was on the right side of his penis below his head and now something aches inside me to the left
Expert:  Dr. Tim, MD replied 1 year ago.

It sounds a lot like a piece of suture that has made its way through the top of the vagina. Yes, this can occur 10 years later, especially if any component of the suture used was permanent suture (which is not unusual). I would definitely get it checked out - just looking on exam is not enough. They need to do an exam with their hands and see exactly what your partner is feeling.

Please remember to leave a POSITIVE rating.

Dr. Tim

Expert:  Dr. Tim, MD replied 1 year ago.

I am just checking to see how things are going. I hope that you have gotten this sorted out in the meantime. Please remember to rate my answer so that I may receive credit. Thank you again.

Dr. Tim