How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Josh Your Own Question
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 5311
Experience:  Specialist advice in Gynecology,Menstrual problems,STDs, Pregnancy .
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr Josh is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think I have folliculitis on the public broke out

Customer Question

I think I have folliculitis on the public broke out about 3 days ago..never had before.likely unrelated but I have painful underarm lymph doc said the lymph nodes will subside..however didn't have this breakout at that visit..I am immune suppressed by methotrexate treating psoriatic arthritis and have several other immune issues
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.


Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern of folliculitis:

What is your age & gender?

Do you have painful lump in pubic area?

Is there itching?

Have you recently shaved the pubic area?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards


Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

The symptoms you have described of having folliculitis in pubic area is inflammation of one or more hair follicles.The damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria staphylococcus.Swabbing the skin, then sending it to a laboratory for bacterial and yeast cultures will confirm the infection.

This is not related to your painful underarm lymph nodes.As you are immune suppressed due to methotrexate,you are much more prone to get infections like folliculitis.

Apply ointment ultramide or ointment polysporin.they are available as OTC(over the counter) at your pharmacy without prescription.

If still the symptoms persists then you need to consult your doctor for examination & accordingly oral antibiotics & other medications may be prescribed.Antifungal medications may be prescribed to control the super added fungal infection..Usually & most likely,the symptoms gets cleared with these treatments.

Hope this helped.

If there is anything else that you would like to know.I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Thank you.

Kind Regards


Expert:  Dr Josh replied 12 months ago.


Just checking in to see how things are going.How is your folliculitis now?

Do you need further assistance?Is there anything else that you would like to know?

You are still open to ask.Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to hep you.

Thank you.

Kind Regards