OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Frustrated and in tears with BV. Tried antibiotics and made

Customer Question
Frustrated and in tears with...
Frustrated and in tears with BV
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes, tried antibiotics and made me so sick ended up in er. 2nd time used boric acid tablets and natural supplements, worked but now back again
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Im 51 and in menapause and this SUCKS?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/12/2016
OB GYN Doctor: MD doc, Doctor replied 1 year ago
MD doc
MD doc, Doctor

I am sorry that you have been having so many problems with Bacterial Vaginosis.

Let me first explain what BV is, so that we can help you with the treatment.

BV is a polymicrobial clinical syndrome resulting from replacement of the normal hydrogen peroxide producing Lactobacillus sp. in the vagina with high concentrations of anaerobic bacteria.
If the oral antibiotic prescribed caused a lot of sickness, it is best to ask for a local vaginal gel (Metronidazole gel OR Clindamycin cream)

Women should be advised to refrain from sexual activity or use condoms consistently and correctly during the treatment regimen. Douching might increase the risk for relapse, and no data support the use of douching for treatment or relief of symptoms.

A self-help approach is lactobacillus colonization therapy — which attempts to boost the number of good bacteria in your vagina and re-establish a balanced vaginal environment — possibly accomplished by eating certain types of yogurt or other foods containing lactobacilli. While current research shows there may be some benefit to probiotic therapy, more research is needed on the subject.

You can certainly try lactobacillus preparations available Over the Counter for oral use OR even vaginal use, as they do not have any side-effects, and may be helpful in some people.

While chances of recurrence are high with BV, a proper long term treatment regimen with changes in diet and use of natural probiotics may help you feel better sooner :)

Warm regards

Dr Gupta, MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't take flagyl at all, the cream sent me to the er with gi distress and the clianamycin is also an antibiotic that can cause gi issues and more ph imbalance. Im trying some other probitoics in every way possible, lots of research on garlic, apple cider vinegar, RePhresh and VH Essentials prebiotic. I just pray this isn't a long term life long battle, Im 51 and going thru menopause so that and stress may be contributing to it? Any other alternative remedies you can suggest? I use natural soap, laundry detergent, no perfume, natural deodorant, Im really careful with my diet also as any sugar, gluten, cow dairy, soy, canola oil make things worse. Also pelvic PT helps. Thank you!

I am sorry that so many conventional treatment options do not work for you.

I do not think that I have much more to add to the volume of research that you have already done.

Avoid smoking, use condoms, avoid multiple sex partners and trying to get your sex partner to get treatment (shown to work in a few studies) are some options.

People have tried lots of garlic including even vaginal use of garlic (WITH CAUTION) is something that can be considered in this situation,
Warm regards

Dr Gupta MD

MD doc
MD doc
MD doc, Doctor