Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic
93434137

I went to the OB/GYN a couple of weeks ago. I recently

Customer Question

Hello, I went to the OB/GYN a couple of weeks ago. I recently received a bill from a lab place and it said Pap IG, rfx HPV ASCU in the description. Can you break down what this mean? I understood that I have a mildly abnormal results but The HPV in this description is throwing me off. Does it mean I have HPV or something?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I'm just taking birth control pills. The doctor left a message saying that my results were mildly abnormal but there's nothing to worry about and he suggest that I get a retest in a year from now. He did not mention anything about HPV test or the results of it.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no there's nothing else.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 1 year ago.

Hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

What this means is that you were billed for a pap smear with a reflex to HPV if the pap smear was abnormal.

In your case it looks like you had ASCUS which is atypical cells of undetermined significance and is neither positive nor negative, just unknown.

It does not mean that you have HPV.

So because it was unknown, you are being asked to repeat the pap smear in 1 year.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question.

Thank you!