How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Muneeb Ali Your Own Question
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 7104
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Muneeb Ali is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are sores on vaginal area? How can I treat them?

Customer Question

What are sores on vaginal area? How can I treat them?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.


Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now sores on the vagina can be due to a number of things. Infections being the first thing which comes to mind. Now it depends on what type of infection is causing the infection, it can be sexually transmitted or no sexually transmitted. If you have been sexually active, then herpes can be a cause of the sores but at the same time, even if you havent been sexually active herpes can still cause the sores as it can stay inactive in the body for decades at a time. So yuou could have acquired this severeal years ago and developed the sores now. Apart from herpes it is possible to have infections which are not sexually transmitted such as vulvovaginitis or chancroid. These can cause sores to develop in the region which can cause pain, irritation, itching, discharge from the sores.

In short sores in this region can due to a number of conditions, if you can tell me a little more about these sores or attach a picture of the area, i can narrow down the diagnosis. Secondly, it can also be due to contact dermatitis or atopic dermatitis in which case steroids stronger than OTC hydrocortisone would have to be used. But since these sores are unresponsive to topical hydrocortisone, it means that they are either due to an infection (monistat is only for candidal infections which rarely cause sores) which would need antibiotic therapy or due to dermatitis which would need stronger steroid preparations. If you can attach a picture that would be great and also tell if you have any other medical conditions? Any urinary symptoms etc?

If you cant do that, then it would be wise to have these sores evaluated by visiting your doctor and getting tested.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,