OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I have been told by my doctor after sugary that I have no

Customer Question
Hi there I have been told...
Hi there
I have been told by my doctor after sugary that I have no cilia hairs in my tubes and I have a blockage on both of my tubes where the tubes come to the uterus. My question is if I had surgery to clear the blockage and don't smoke or be around anyone smoking will my cilia hairs in my Fallopian tubes repair??
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
8/3/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Im sorry to hear about your situation. Well if you do undergo surgery to remove the blockages in your tubes, the cilia MAY grow back with the use of certain medications. Estrogen can stimulate the production of ciliary cells however it all depends on the extent of your blockage and amount of damage your tubes have undergone. Simply removing the blockage and using estrogen is not the answer as use of estrogen can also be harmful in some cases, it can cause development of malignant tumors in some cases. For example if the blockage is in the diatal part of the tube, the surgery would be fairly simple however in some cases there is damage to the fimbriae of the fallopian tubes (these are the portions which pick up the ovum etc) and a a specialized procedure known as fimbrioplasty is required.

Basically the point here is that even if you undergo the surgery and avoid being near smoke there is NO guarantee that you will be able to conceive naturally, the greater the damage to your fallopian tubes the less the chances are that any surgical procedure may work. While cilairy cells may regenerate but that alone would not give us an indication of whether you can get pregnant or not. I think the reason your doctor told you that you may have to seek in vitro fertilization techniques is because, i assume, the damage to your fallopian tubes is too great to be repaired or it can be repaired but the chances of your getting pregnant even with the repairs are too low to warrant extensive surgery like this.

So to simply answer your question, YES it is possible for the hair to grow back BUT it is less likely that will happen in severely damaged tubes.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor