How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Muneeb Ali Your Own Question
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 6346
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Muneeb Ali is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a bowel that is protruding into my vagina - I try to

Customer Question

I have a bowel that is protruding into my vagina - I try to push it back in but it keeps falling walking and sitting sometimes is very uncomfortable. I have called my obgyn and they think nothing of it and I the best I can do for an apt is 5 months down the road. 1st I can hardly believe this and 2nd should I be looking for a different type of doctor?
JA: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: I started feeling it off and on in Jan of this yr - but this last 2 weeks its lower and lower and the last time I pushed it in I had blood spots - now I'm 60 yrs old and yes overweight and was trying to stop smoking but this and trying to find a dr to see me before 5 mo. I'm still smoking again
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am a celiac spru
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 12 months ago.


Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. From what you are describing it sounds as if you may have developed a condition which is known as rectocele. This is a condition in which the wall between the rectum and vagina prolapses down into the vaginal opening, this is also known as posterior prolapse. This can cause the symptoms which you are experiencing and it can also cause issues in passing stool as well. The causes of this can range from childbirth to aging which can weaken the ligaments which hold up the wall.

Now there are several ways to treat a posterior prolapse of the wall or a rectocele, small rectoceles are observed but patients like ypourself who have symptoms may need to be treated with either home pelvic exercises, kegel exercises may help in holding up the vaginal wall and also specific pelvic exercises can strengthen the muscles which can prevent further prolpases of this type. In addition the commonest form of treatment is a vaginal pessary which is a plastic or rubber ring inserted into your vagina to support the bulging tissues. Several types of pessaries are available. If the posterior prolapse protrudes outside your vagina and is especially bothersome, you may opt for surgery. Surgery to repair posterior prolapse will repair the tissue bulge and can fix the problem.

In the meantime here is a useful link to help manage this at home until your doctor comes up with one of the above treatment options,

Now if your OB/GYN isnt paying much attention to this then you should seek the opinion of another OB/GYN who will be able to help you out in this case. This problem does come under their domain and if surgery is needed, it is usually done by OB/GYNs.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 12 months ago.

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.