OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Have an yeast infection every month and trying to find

Customer Question
hi, have an yeast...
hi, have an yeast infection every month and trying to find answers how to prevent it... i try everything.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: yes... but no answers. they say i'm normal
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/14/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Can i ask what actual methods have you tried to prevent a yeast infection?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

Well there are numerous ways to prevent teh development of a yeast infection,

• Wear cotton underwear and loose-fitting pants or skirts.
  • Avoid tight-fitting underwear or pantyhose.
  • Immediately change out of wet clothes, such as swimsuits or workout attire.
  • Stay out of hot tubs and very hot baths.
  • Avoid unnecessary antibiotic use, such as for colds or other viral infections.
  • Do not use scented feminine products, including bubble bath, sprays, pads, and tampons.
  • Do not douche. Douching removes some of the normal bacteria in the vagina that protects you from infection.
  • Change tampons and pads often
  • Using lactobacillus acidophillus capsules may be effective in preventing infections
  • Using yogurt may be helpful but that isnt conclusive but can be tried

Now if you do get recurrent yeast infections then yuou have recurrent vulvovaginal candidasis, this is a condition which needs treatment with oral antifungals for upto six months. Now if your doctor are saying that there is no evidence of yeast infections, then first get them to do a culture when the symptoms occur again and if the culture is normal, then its possible that the symptoms are due to another condition other than yeast. Sometimes nerve disorders in the area can cause itching and irritation as well as burning, this could be the result of neuropathy and you might need drugs like lyrica to control the problem. Another possibility which can mimic yeast infections is lichen sclerosus which is an autoimmune disorder in which you can have similar symptoms as well as white patches on the vagina. if this is the case then you would need steroid therapy to feel better.

Now i would recommend that you try the above measures to prevent another infection from developing and once it does develop have them do a swab culture to confirm its presence and if it is present, start you on six month therapy with strong antifungals. Secondly if there is no yeast infection then the cause for your symptoms should be determined, and you can have your doctors look into the other possibilities.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor