OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Ive been taking loestrin fe since june 19. tubes are tied

Customer Question
but im going to beach...
ive been taking loestrin fe since june 19. tubes are tied but im going to beach tomorrow for big trip and didn't want to be on my period. LMP 06/13.. well I started breakthrough bleeding Sunday. should I double up on pills
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Are you in any pain?
Customer: no pain
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
7/13/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, one of the options that can be done to try to stop breakthrough bleeding would be to double up on the dose of the oral contraceptive for a short time, such as for a week. It is actually an increase in the estrogen component that is important in stopping the bleeding, but with the pills that you have, the only way to achieve that is to double up on the pills

From a medical perspective, there is no need to treat the breakthrough bleeding, but it can be done for control of the bleeding for the trip to the beach.

It is worth noting that breakthrough bleeding during the first three months on an oral contraceptive is common and does not indicate that this will be an ongoing problem. However, if breakthrough bleeding is a recurrent problem past the first three months, it would be better to consider changing to a different oral contraceptive with a stronger estrogen component.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor