OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I'm concerned with a red spot which appeared on my glan,

Customer Question
Hi, I'm concerned with a...
Hi, I'm concerned with a red spot which appeared on my glan, about 2 weeks ago. I don't suffer from any other symptoms except of the red spot. It's not itchy and appear flat. I haven't had sexual activities for the longest time. The only thing i did was to masturbate the night before this showed up.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
7/12/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago
Michael Salama

Hello this is Dr. Salama,

Would you be able to upload a picture?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here are some pictures.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had something similar when i was yonger, but never took this long to go away. Before I would get a red spot after intense sexual activities and this would turn into dry skin. Not it's still there and I'm getting anxious, maybe there's no dryskin because it's summer and the sweat makes it go away?
OB GYN Doctor: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago

This is known as molluscum contagiosum which is small painless, smooth skin-colored bumps that are usually sexually transmitted, but can also transmitted through auto-inoculation from other parts of the body. Molluscum is harmless and is usually self-limited which gradually resolves over several months.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi there, when you say it's normally transmitted sexually, if I don't have interactions, how would it transfer from other parts of my body? I'm concerned as my dad has herpes and my penis touch the toilet bowl after he went in. Is this a possible herpes case?if you can let me know, I'm really anxious about this.
OB GYN Doctor: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago

No. This is not herpes and you cannot get herpes like that.

Since this is a virus, often times it can be transmitted and stay in your body and manifest itself much later not necessarily right after the point of contact.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what can I do to have this virus go away? Is there anything I should not do or do? Like no maturbation? I see after maturbating it becomes redder? Should i not have sexual activities until this goes away? Should i take pills?
OB GYN Doctor: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago

There is an over the counter medication known as Compound W which occasionally helps but this condition usually resolves over the course of time and no treatment is needed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what about other people, could they get infected too?
OB GYN Doctor: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago

Yes, it is contagious but it is not serious in any way.

You can develop more of these lesions but they are self-limiting.

Michael Salama
Michael Salama
Michael Salama