How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rick, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 11303
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Rick, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having external vaginal redness/swelling/irritation. I

Customer Question

I am having external vaginal redness/swelling/irritation. I haven't noticed anything irregular with discharge. I picked up and tried destin, but it doesn't appear to be providing any relief.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: I started having this a few days ago and it's gotten worse. Urine seems to agitate the area and destin didn't appear to provide much relief.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Has the area of irritation gotten larger since you first noticed it?

Do you mean to say that there is discomfort when you urinate?

How old are you?

Have you recently engaged in any risky sexual activity?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The area of irritation appears to be on one of the glands and truthfully I haven't kept track of the size until the last day or so when the pain has become notable as I walk/sit.There is irritation when I urinate - a burning sensation, but it is also irritated when I have not just urinated.I am 30 and have not engaged in any recent sexual activity. I also don't have any other meds.
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

It is possible that you have a bartholian gland cyst. This is fairly common

You can try soaking in a warm bath as often as possible during the day. This will allow the cyst to drain and heal on its own.

Another option would be to see your OB/GYN. She could incise the infected gland and put a drain in it for a time so that it can heal or, alternatively, she can cut it open and partially stitch it shut (called marsupialization) so that it can heal and -- hopefully -- never come back.

Of course, the best way to know exactly what is going on would be to have your OB/GYN have a look at you.....

I would not recommend putting steroid cream or other ointments on the area at this point since what you really need is a good diagnosis....

So. What to do?

1. Try the sitz baths (soaking in the tub)

2. If that doesn't improve things in a day or two, or you continue to get worse, see your OB doc.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this makes sense. The exterior region of the 'glad' has also started to bleed, particularly when in contact with urine. I forgot to mention that previously. Not sure if that changes the recommendation. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

That goes along with what we were talking about.

Glad I could help :)

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS