OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

My entire groin region has a very noticeable burning sensation and it's been going on for a few days...

Customer Question
My entire groin region has...
My entire groin region has a very noticeable burning sensation and it's been going on for a few days...should I be worried about herpes? It's almost like a burning/sensual sensation.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am also a 24 year old male.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also just recently started having trouble urinating and have a brief stinging feeling whenever I start. It's a very weak stream
6/21/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask is there any rash? Any blisters? Were you recently sexually active?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was sexually active Friday night with a one night stand. I used a comdom

Thank you for the additional information

Well from what you are describing it sounds like you may have developed a UTI which stands for a urinary tract infection. Now this can be a STD which is unlikely given you use of a condom but it is more likely to be a bacterial or a fungal infection. This would cause burning sensation, sdifficulty urinating, pus in urine, pain in the lower abdomen and groin region, increased frequency etc. This would be diagnosed on a simple urine examination and culture and then treated with antibiotics.

Now herpes can be a possibility however the use of condoms decreases the chances of that happening. if it is herpes then you will notice blisters appearing in a couple of days in the area and if they do you should get antivirals to treat the problem.

but i think this is a UTI and this can be treated easily. See your doctor and get the urine tests done and get started on antibiotics.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can young men even get UTI's? There are no blisters anywhere near the shaft or the scrotum.

Yes men of any age can get UTIs and since there is no rash or blisters, its unlikely to be herpes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay thanks. Do urgent care facilities conduct uti tests? And would that explain why my groin area feels so warm and tingly?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am also extremely constipated. Maybe due to stress but I thought I would just throw that out there.

Yes urgent care facilities can do testing for UTIs and the warm feeling can be explained due to this as well. The constipation is likely to be due to the stress, you should increase your water intake and at the same time increase the fiber intake in your diet. Cut back on caffeine and alcohol for a week or so.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now that I am feeling my scrotum it feels cool to the touch, but when my hands are off, it feels warm again. What heck is goin on??

That is not anything to be worried about, your hands are causing an abnormal sensation to be felt when you touch your scrotum. Anxiety will play havoc with your senses as well. Do NOT worry and simply get the tests done. Do NOT worry, this can be treated and CURED easily. Since you dont have a rash and you used a condom you are VERY UNLIKELY To have any STDs. just get the tests done and get started on antibiotics.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay: is it true that anxiety can play tricks on our bodies? I read that on a forum but I'm not sure how credible that is

Yes actually very true, anxiety can cause you to have abnormal sensations in the body, numbness in limbs, shortness of breath and even cause your body to think its having a heart attack so that is why i said you shouldnt worry and simply have this evaluated.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It just feel like there is something in the way. It doesn't hurt when I start peeing, only once it leaves the head.

That could indicate the infection is localized in the urethra which is a part of the urinary tract. This would cause the pain after you finish urinating. This is known as urethritis. The treatment and diagnosis is the same.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is a rash or blisters a dead giveaway for herpes?

Usually yes. However it has to a characteristic rash for herpes. Also please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you take a look at this pic and let me know what you think it is?

That can be an early rash of herpes but at the same time it can also be a fungal infection. Again a clinical examination and testing would be definite here.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor