How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Abid Your Own Question
Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 5985
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Abid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a healthy 55 year old female. I suppose I am starting

Customer Question

i am a healthy 55 year old female. I suppose I am starting into menopause. I still have periods every 26 days like clockwork, but in last 8 months have noticed shorter, heavier periods. I started period like any other month and counting today have been bleeding for 23 days straight! I am exhausted. I don't have a gyno, just go to my primary care doctor. She gave me 10 days of medroxyprogesterone and said that would shut down the bleeding. I took the last one today and am still bleeding heavily. She said she didn't want to give me low dosage birth control, cuz that would keep my periods going and since I had no other symptoms, the risks outweighed the benefits. She told me to eat iron rich foods when I asked for iron supplement, telling me it would constipate me. Never had a single problem with my periods in 43 years. Im in good health, but under high stress of divorce. How can I shut this bleeding off???Help!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.

Hi there ...

Thank you for the question ...

I am sorry to hear about your issue .

As you have such a heavy bleeding for last more than 3 weeks , this is not normal and often Fibroid in uterus could be the reason of such heavy bleeding .

It would be ideal for you to have Ultrasound to see what is going wrong , as blindly use of Medroxyprogesterone is not solution of your issue .

You need immediately Ultrasound ask your dr for that so that appropriate treatment may be offered to you .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Please rate my answer as good service .

Thanks .