How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Muneeb Ali Your Own Question
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 7356
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Muneeb Ali is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have developed boils, carbuncles, not too sure what they

Customer Question

I have developed boils, carbuncles, not too sure what they are, but they are spreading all over my body, mainly arms, (SQ),similar to keloids, legs, above skin that burst & squirt white pus (no-odor),or blood blisters. My arms/legs are gross & all I have is P.T.1&2 in Medicare. I'm a 30 yr. RN & have no idea what is causing these growths/boils/etc. Is this MRSA?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.


Im sorry to hear about your symptoms.

Well since you are a RN that does mean that you could have been exposed to MRSA and MRSA infections can certainluy cause appearance of pus filled blisters all over the body. If this is the case then you would need blood cultures along with cultures of the pus itself to diagnose the problem. Once diagnosed this can be treated with one of the many antibiotics for MRSA such as clindamycin, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole or even vancomycin.

Other causes of this can include chronic granulomatous disease which is genetic disorder. That can result in formation of sterile abscesses all over the body. However that usually presents early on in the course of life, usually in the teen years or latest by early 20s. But there have been presentations in the 30s as well. if this is the case then again specialized tests would have to be done.

Another cause can be Hidradenitis suppurativa which is a chonic skin condition in which there is inflammation of the apocrine gland. These commonly occur in the armpits and groins but other regions can be involved.

i would first recommend that you get a culture done of the pus discharging from the boils and at the same time get blood cultures done which would indicate if this is a bacterial infection. At the same time other basic testing should be done including CBC, ESR and CRP. We can also look into autoimmune issues as well. You should contact an internist and a dermatologist for further plan of management.

Do you have any more questions?

If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.

Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any more questions?