OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I just tested positive for chlamydia. I have had one sex

Customer Question
partner for seven years and...
I just tested positive for chlamydia. I have had one sex partner for seven years and unprotected sex with that partner for approx five of those seven years.
I know it is "possible" for me to remain asymtomatic for 7 years (i was tested and negative when we started getting serious... But who knows if that test was accurate) but what are the odds that i could be asymptomatic for 7+ years?
Also we are trying to conceive and she regularly goes to the gyno for annuals and check ups (she had an iud and recent tests for conception viability). She has clearly been tested and has mentioned nothing. What are the odds that i have had chlamydia for 7 years and NOT have transmitted it to her ( assume 50+ unprotected sexual occurances per year for 5 years, so 250 instances. Is that even possible?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
6/3/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr David, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr. David

the chances are zero you would have remained asymptomatic with chlamydia for 7 years

much more likely your partner contracted chlamydia and gave it to you if you have not had sex outside of the relationship.

sorry about the bad news.

but that is the much more likely scenario

let me know if you have questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Im told the symptoms in men can be minor and go unnoticed "silent infection" or whatever. Assume under some crazy scenario where pigs fly and i have had this for 7 years and not know... What are the transmission rates? What are the odds that in 5 years i did NOT transmit it to her?Thanks!

the odds would be zero that you did not transmit it to her if you had chlamydia in your system and you had 50+ episodes of unprotected sex per year for 7 years.

so if you had it, you would have given it to her

if she had it, she would have given it to you.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr David
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor