DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I was diagnosed with herpes about 12 years ago..... had one

Customer Question

Hi there.
I was diagnosed with herpes about 12 years ago..... had one outbreak and it never ever returned. I forgot that I had it because I have not had anything ever since.
I am in a relationship now and my partner wants to have kids one day. I recently got tested to see if I was actually diagnosed properly 12 years ago and yes..... I have the antibodies still bUT have had no symptoms whatsoever.
Is this something I have to worry about? The person that gave it to me.... didn't even know he had it..... he is married and has two kids now.
Any Inight? ??
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

You probably have suppressed the virus completely.

There is no way to be 100% sure, as the virus can shed without an outbreak.

So there is always a low risk.

Most people, in fact, do not express the virus over time.

Can he still get it. Yes, even if low risk.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/