OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I'm a 31-year-old woman, and I've experienced chronic yeast

Customer Question
infections (ranging from mild to...
I'm a 31-year-old woman, and I've experienced chronic yeast infections (ranging from mild to severe) for about 15 years now (perhaps longer, but I wasn't aware of it until I became sexually active at 17). I have had no children and have been in two long-term monogamous relationships over the past 15 years. I was diagnosed with HPV in 2009 (treated with LEEP procedure), but I have experienced these symptoms before and after.
I've had multiple doctors remark that "this is something more consistent with someone who has diabetes, but you probably don't have diabetes." I'm 5'9" and weigh roughly 150 pounds. I have been vegetarian since high school, and specifically, I have been vegan (no animal products at all) for the past 6 years.
I have had a doctor theorize that the yeast infections were from my diet. Since a vegan diet can be heavy on carbs, her thought was that that's how my body was processing the excess sugar in my body. I have tried lower carb diets since, and I still experience these symptoms.
This has had an impact on my relationships and I'm beginning to feel like a prisoner in my own body. It's uncomfortable and makes being intimate difficult.
Do you have any recommendations on a course of action to figure out what's going on? Should I ask for a blood test? Is it possible that I am ACTUALLY diabetic? (I assume I would have had other complications by now were that the case.)
I don't mind going to see the doctor or even a number of them, but I feel like these symptoms have been disregarded time and time again, and because I have been to a number of doctors over the past decade, no one has been able to make the connection that this is a serious, chronic issue for me.
Thanks so much for your time and consideration.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
5/29/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Norbert Scheufele,
 replied 1 year ago
Dr Norbert Scheufele

diabetes indeed can support infections like this, so a blood test to be sure concerning this would make sense. If you are using hormonal contraception this could also play a role too, so that you should switch to a hormone free method. Regarding nutrition it´s important to reduce the consumption of sugar.

Finally I would recommend a vaccination (Gynatren), please contact your OB/GYN for this.

Hope you will resolve the problem soon, kind regards,

Dr. N. Scheufele

OB GYN Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hello

Gynatren is not available as a legitamate vaccination, from what I can find.

It has been researched as a vaccination against bacterial vaginosis, which you do not have.

Not appropriate for you

I am a US doctor.

Find me as needed for questions.

You need an HA1C to see if you are prediabetic or diabetic.

I doubt it.

Tell me your diet in more detail.

Use a product called rephresh, which stabilizes the flora in the vagina.

This is needed in addition to diet.

In addition, a comprehensive stool analysis would be of benefit. Some people colonize yeast in their stool.

In addition, before treating yeast, a culture for the lab.

Find me anytime for accurate answers.

Please click a positive here on this post.

Sorry there was a site glitch and I could not edit the above.

Please see my premium services offer.

I will be glad to go into a functional approach to this as well.

Or, simply do a positive rating here.

OB GYN Doctor: Dr Norbert Scheufele,
 replied 1 year ago

if there are still open questions, I will be glad to answer them. Otherwise please don´t forget to honour my work with a kindly rating (3-5 stars).
Thanks a lot, all the best for you,
Dr. N. Scheufele

Hello

This link also goes over oral therapies and maintenence therapy

I don't usually have to go to that with my patients, but here it is from the mayo clinic.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/yeast-infection/basics/treatment/con-20035129

Again, there is no valid vaccination for this...and I can go into further testing than I have mentioned so far.

OB GYN Doctor: Dr Norbert Scheufele,
 replied 1 year ago

Thanks a lot, all the best for you,
Dr. N. Scheufele

Dr Norbert Scheufele
Dr Norbert Scheufele
Dr Norbert Scheufele