OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I am staying in dubai, UAE. Last night during intercourse

Customer Question
hello. I am staying in...
hello. I am staying in dubai, UAE. Last night during intercourse with my wife, condom tore
What should i do
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
5/29/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

There are only certain options available for emergency contraception in Dubai. The usual method for emergency contraception, Plan B, is not available in Dubai. The usual next consideration would be to use high doses of a standard oral contraceptive.

Ideally, a birth control pill that contains levonorgestrel as the progestin component would be used. There are many of these on the market, including Alesse, Levora, and Nordette. However, I cannot find a website that specifically says which birth control pills are available in Dubai. If a birth control pill that contains levonorgestrel is not able to be obtained, then other birth control pills can be considered, although there is no evidence that they are as effective as the birth control pills that contain levonorgestrel.

Can you determine which birth control pills are available in Dubai?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think Yasmin tablet is available

Yasmin does not have levonorgestrel as the progestin component, so is not as ideal. However, if there is no pill containing levonorgestrel available, then taking a high dose of the Yasmin may be the best that can be done, and the dose that would be attempted would be to take 4 pills as soon as possible and another 4 pills 12 hours later.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any pill with lovonorgestrel how many dose we have to take
if available in dubai
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what time period and what is the side effect

It varies according to the amount of levonorgestrel in the pill. For most of the pills, the dose is 4 pills as soon as possible and another 4 pills 12 hours later. There are some that have lower amounts of levonorgestrel and higher doses would be needed. For example, Aviane has a low dose of levonorgestrel and it is recommended to take 5 pills as soon as possible and another 5 pills 12 hours later.

The goal is to get about 0.5-0.6 mg of levonorgestrel in each dose. The Aviane has 0.1 mg in each pill, so 5 pills are needed.

Any emergency contraceptive should be done as quickly as possible and within 72 hours of intercourse.

The primary side effect of such doses is stomach irritation, such as nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain. It also can cause bleeding, although it is not necessary to cause bleeding to be effective. It also can can irregular periods for a cycle or two.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I purchase yasmine and advice my wife to take 3 pills now after food and after 12 hour same .
She is scared of the effect what should i advice for the same.

The dose should be 4 pills taken twice, 12 hours apart, rather than three, as I said above.

High doses of birth control pills for emergency contraception are generally very well tolerated, with the possible side effects that I noted above. We have primarily studied those that contain levonorgestrel, since these are the ones that have been shown to be effective, but there have been many studies on birth control pills that show that these high doses are generally well tolerated.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How should i conclude after taking medicine that it is safe now.
Any further test need to be taken for the same to make us safe.

There is no test to be taken, as the studies are done on any women that needed emergency contraception. The only contraindication for emergency contraception would be if someone is allergic to the drug, and that is extremely rare.

There is nothing needed to conclude that it is safe beyond the studies that I referenced above and knowledge that she has never been allergic to these medicines.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She take 4 tablet each in 12 hour interval 2times
It is ok or should be continued
She is feeling lazy and vomiting type what should we do pls advice .

No, she should only take those two doses for this encounter.

She can decide to take birth control pills on an ongoing basis for prevention of pregnancy from future encounters by taking one pill per day, but that is a separate decision.

If she is having vomiting from the Yasmin, then she can take a medicine to help ease the vomiting, such as promethazine or meclizine. It also would be reasonable to simplify oral intake to clear liquids.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is nothing to worry for that she will be normal in a day

It may take a couple days after completeing the regimen for side effects wear off, but yes, these women will be normal shortly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi doctor she is having bleeding and back pain can u pls tell what should we do it happen after 5 days from medicine

There is nothing that needs to be done. The standard morning after pill certainly can cause altered bleeding patterns, and using high doses of birth control pills instead can do similar, as I noted above.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing to worry or consult local doctor for the same.
It is safe right she is worried

No. Just as she does not see a doctor every time she has a period.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Diane control pill if used how much dose for emergency contraseptual

This is either far too late or it is a new situation. If a new situation, then please accept the offer for additional Q&A time.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor