How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. SH Your Own Question
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 8781
Experience:  Board Certified MD
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. SH is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My period came 3 days early and then only lasted for 4 days

Customer Question

My period came 3 days early and then only lasted for 4 days then I thought it had finshed then 6 days later I started bleeding heavy for 2 days then that stopped and now I'm getting light brown spotting has been 2 days. This is very abnormal as I am very regular, we are trying to get pregnant but the test came back negative?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

The most common cause of irregular bleeding like what you have experienced is stress, which could be either physical or emotional, that causes hormonal disturbances leading to abnormal periods.

If the bleeding has stopped or light now, I would not worry.

In the vast majority of cases bleeding like this will stop and you will be fine.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


As you say, you are usually very regular.

There are many reasons this can happen.

Hormonal problems: sex hormones, thyroid and adrenal.

Weight loss.

Weight gain.

Anxiety or other such problems.

Liver or kidney problems.

Ovarian problems.

Other problems.

This is enough that it should prompt an exam by your doctor, hopefully an OB/gyn or internist.

I am double board certified clinical doctor.

Find me in medical anytime by request.

I am here daily.

Please click a positive rating.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

The only way I am credited on here for helping you out is when you rate me positively.

I would, therefore, appreciate a rating.

Kindest regards