Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had visible bloody urine about 6 months ago and was

Customer Question

I had visible bloody urine about 6 months ago and was treated with antibiotics and it totally cleared up. However I had my Physical today and there was a small amount in my urine sample. Is this serious? I'm scheduled for a CT scan of kidneys soon.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

A small amount of blood may or may not be serious. It's good that they're checking it out, since there are many possible causes, including kidney or bladder cancer. However, a small amount of blood can also be found when there is nothing wrong.

If the CT is normal, that mostly rules out cancer.

A kidney stone or urinary infection can also cause blood in the urine, but either are not likely without symptoms.