OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I had a US last week that measured exactly 9w w/a FHR of

Customer Question
170. Today labs came back...
I had a US last week that measured exactly 9w w/a FHR of 170. Today labs came back that showed my progesterone level (taken the day before the US) was on the lower side (13.4). I am a second year med student and having a hard time weeding out fact from fear on the internet (I wish that I wasn't falling into this trap but I am).
I understand that progesterone levels are import in maintaining the pregnancy but I am unclear as to what the risks of miscarriage are at this point w/these levels since the pregnancy is a little farther along than the information I have found.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
5/11/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Pravin, Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Physician

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** would be able to provide you some information to your concern. I totally understand what you may be thinking now.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Have you done your beta HCG levels ?

Has the doctor suggested HCG or progesterone injections ?

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They didn't check Beta HCG (unsure why).
I haven't spoken to the OB yet though I left a msg w/the office... I did the blood work from an outside lab and received the results before the office so I haven't been able to touch base with anyone re: my concerns.That being said my understanding re: progesterone supplements is that it's controversial as to whether is actually helps maintain an at risk pregnancy?? Some of the better sources seem to point to low levels possibly being more to do with a problem that causing the problem?

I would suggest that the Beta HCG is the most important test and that has to be correlated to the Progesterone levels which are definitely on the lower side.

This correlation would eventually help the doctor decide about the progesterone or beta HCG injections.

Hello

Please do let me know if you still have your concern. I am awaiting a message from you .

I would be happy to help you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ah, I apologize. The last response you gave seemed to be a rather difinitive end since I did not have the information and no additional history was requested of me. Nor did you ask if I had questions re: the statement so I assumed the thread was ended.
Dr. C.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified