OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I am breastfeeding my 6 month old and she has started eating

Customer Question
solids for 3 meals a...
I am breastfeeding my 6 month old and she has started eating solids for 3 meals a day. I have 2 vertebraes fused in my neck and find the only thing that has helped marginally is taking 2, Tylenol #1 every day. (16 mg codeine) I always wait a minimum of 4 hours before pumping. Will the morphine levels be safe in my milk with having to take daily? I don't see extra drowsiness or feeding problems in my baby and I don't feel much difference other than a bit of mild brain fog an hour or so after taking it then it goes away by the 4th hour. Thank you in advance
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
5/8/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr David, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr. David

you should let your ob doctor know that you are doing this

in the book, it is rated as not safe for lactating mothers.

codeine sulfate has a half life of 2.5 to 4 hours .

so some of it still is in your system after 4 hours, either 1/2 or 1/4 of the dose. so the baby is getting a tiny amount of that.

risks have to be weighted with benefits in your situation.

the risks are small for your baby, but not zero most likely.

usually they can go on just solid food after 1 year.

but your baby may be able to move to all solid food sooner.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Am I able to have this answered by an ob on here?

none are online right now.

the question was in the medicine category.

would you like me to move it to ob/gyn?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
please. Thank you

ok administrators have to do that.

it can take a few hours

please be patient.

Dr David
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor