How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 65329
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Strange red rash/blistering surrounding/on labia? Okay, so I

Customer Question

Strange red rash/blistering surrounding/on labia?
Okay, so I guess I should start when this first starting appearing. I will start by saying I've had the same partner for nearly 3 years, and there are no other partners involved, and as far as I know we are both clean, so I'm doubting this is an std, but I wanted everyone's opinion.Just before Valentine's day, I shaved "down there". I noticed about two to three weeks later I developed what I suppose was a yeast infection, though not one I'm used to. I developed a white substance that was "shedding" (the only appropriate word for it, from what I could tell) from my labia. I used an otc cream and it went away, but it took several weeks, and the skin burned and itched rather badly, so I started using 20%-type vagicaine to deal with the pain. Then I noticed the skin was very red, sort of like heat rash that you get when you've been outside running around too much... and it has steadily gotten worse ever since... now it hurts to sit, and I have these small skin colored-to-rash colored bumps bumps that are sort of clustered (they feel kind of like ingrown hairs, but that was several months ago!) around my labia, in addition to the red swollen skin, which has now spread to the area between my anal and vaginal openings... it's getting pretty bad. Someone recommended diaper ointment, so I've used that a little when the pain is unbearable. I've had to quit wearing underwear, because I thought it might be irritating it, but now this strange rash/bumps have spread to my left underarm... but it's almost gone from there with constant use of neosporin and diaper rash ointment, and only lasted about two weeks there, tho it's still healing.I know this is kind of long, and yes I've waited much too long to go to the doctor, but I kept hoping it'd go away... I'm rather uncomfortable around drs. I've made an appt to see a gyno, but does anyone have any idea what this might be? I've been suggested everything from herpes to psoriasis to heat rash because I'm overweight... I would appreciate anyone's help... the skin is starting to take on a slightly shriveled appearance near the bumps, but I think that's due to being this way so long... I appreciate any suggestions!The only other thing I can think to add is that I have a small white-headed cold sore on the roof of my mouth right now and have been having headaches, but those might be completely unrelated symptoms, as far as I know.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question, this seems like an allergic rash now has spread to other areas it is best that you seek urgent dermatologist attention. It will need anti allergic medicine plus antibiotics in oral form. It can take around 7-10 days to recover even after full dose oral treatment with anti allergic and antibiotics. Let me know if you have questions. Thank you.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


I am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified US doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed

An allergic reaction would not go on this long, nor would it keep developing new blisters in a localized fashion like this.

If you have a picture, I can give you more detail.

In any case, from your description, I would assume folliculitis, which is infection.

The spreading with blisters can be typical of staph bacteria.

Do not try to wait for a dermatologist, which is not how it works in the US anyway.

Go to your OB, your GP, your internist, or to urgent care.

Today as possible.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.