OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I live in Santa California and my doctors here want me to

Customer Question
Hi! I live in...
Hi! I live in Santa Barbara California and my doctors here want me to get a hysterectomy because of three super large fibroids. I am waiting to first have a consultation at UCLA where they offer fibroid treatment alternatives to hysterectomy. I am in some discomfort but want to get a second opinion and know that I will choose an alternative solution. What is your professional opinion about the rush to hysterectomy?
JA: The Gynecologist will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Gynecologist should know?
Customer: YES, which of the alternative therapies does the gynocologist endorse for the removal of large fibroids? One is larger than 10 cm, and two others are larger than 7 cm. they are outside the uterus. I am 64 years old and have not had children
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
5/1/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr David, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr. David

how old are you?

if your uterine fibroids are causing you some discomfort, then hysterectomy is the best long term solution.

there are other ways to treat fibroids including MRI-guided focused ultrasound surgery

Uterine artery embolization can be done to shrink the fibroids

Myolysis is a laparoscopic procedure where an electric current or laser destroys the fibroids and shrinks the blood vessels that feed them

so there are alternatives to hysterectomy.

Myolysis most likely will be best if you don't want a hysterectomy.

why don't you want to have a hysterectomy done?

Dr David
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor