Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a question regarding implantation bleeding, I was

Customer Question

I have a question regarding implantation bleeding
JA: OK. The Gynecologist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Gynecologist can help you best.
Customer: I was using the nuvaring. Completed one month. On April 3 - it was week 1. I had it in but took it out Sunday April 10. I had sex April 11 and April 12 unprotected. I have read about quickie ovulation. After sex on the 12 I had a lot of egg white discharge. I am due to get my period April 26. On April 19 I started having brown/dark red spotting. Yesterday it was heavier but not enough to fill a regular absorpancy tampon. When should I test for pregnancy
JA: Is there anything else the Gynecologist should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It would be appropriate to perform the pregnancy test on April 26th, if you have not started your period by then.

It is possible that the spotting that started on April 19th was implantation bleeding, as implantation bleeding typically occurs about 7 days after ovulation. However, it still takes at least 5 days before the hormone that is looked for with the pregnancy test to be detected, and the test is more accurate 7 days after implantation, which is also the day on which the next period will typically start.

The current pregnancy tests are quite good and may detect pregnancy even a couple days before a missed period, but they are better at detecting pregnancy once there is a missed period.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

if you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/