How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr David Your Own Question
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 46709
Experience:  Experienced physican trained in ob-gyn and oncology
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a 51 year old female. I have had an hysterectomy nine

Customer Question

I'm a 51 year old female. I have had an hysterectomy nine years ago. All is well with that. I am also post menopausal.
The problem I have is not related to the above. The problem I have is sexual intercourse has become very painful. I had a pap smear last year. Nothing wrong with me.
My doctor told me the other day it is because I seldom have sex.
My husband has a lot of health issues so between them and all his medications, it has caused our sex life to become very limited. For instance, last year we had sex three times. The year before, four times. This year, just the once. Everything is going fine until penetration.
As my doctor said, use it or lose it.
He suggested I go online and look at getting something such as a vaginal stretcher. Starting small.
I have no idea where to look or what to look for.
Is there any chance you can point me in the right direction?
Thanking you in advance for any help you can provide me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

a vaginal dilator set like this can help you

if used regularly with KY jelly, it can help keep vaginal patency.

also you might benefit from vaginal estrogen creams which can help soften the vaginal skin and prevent vaginal atrophy and dryness from menopause.

make sure you use plenty of KY jelly during intercourse.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using