OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I had sent a 2nd question with payment. Credit Card company

Customer Question
sent fraud alerts for verification...
I had sent a 2nd question with payment. Credit Card company sent fraud alerts for verification. I have that straightened out. Did you receive 2nd question & payment?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
4/10/2016
OB GYN Doctor: LaKrystal Warren,
 replied 1 year ago
LaKrystal Warren

I did not receive payment for the first question and I am just seeing this second question. I can help you with this question as well. It is understandable that you would like to keep your ovaries and go through natural menopause. Whenever hysterectomy is indicated, there are many factors that determine whether or not the ovaries can stay. If there are no concerns for cancer and there are no problems with the ovaries (cysts or masses), then it is not a problem to leave the ovaries in place, no matter what the age. If there are concerns for cancer or problems with the ovaries, then it is sometimes necessary to remove part or all of the ovaries. The traditional teaching was that under 40 we leave ovaries, over 40 we take them--the thought being that we would eliminate the possibility of ovarian cancer or having to have another surgery to remove ovaries. Over time, we have realized that it is beneficial to women's heart health to leave normal ovaries in place at any age and this does not increase risk for ovarian cancer. In your case, due to complex endometrial hyperplasia with atypia, you have up to a 33% chance of having uterine cancer when the hysterectomy is performed and that will not be known until the time of surgery. If there is cancer, it is recommended that the ovaries are removed to prevent spread of cancer. Due to this, surgeons err on the side of caution with complex endometrial hyperplasia with atypia and treat it like early stage uterine cancer and remove the uterus, tubes, and ovaries. Usually, about three days after surgery, IF you are going to have symptoms, you may have hot flashes, mood swings, vaginal dryness and/or insomnia. The degree of severity varies, but it is likely based on your age that you have already had some menopausal type symptoms and they may remain the same or become slightly worse. HRT is only indicated for the treatment of bothersome symptoms and everyone doesn't need therapy. Whether or not you can take HRT after your surgery will depend on the final pathology and whether or not there was any cancer present. If you cannot take HRT, there are other natural remedies, such as soy milk and black kohash that can help, as well as other medications, like Wellbutrin, that can help if you are bothered by symptoms. You will definitely still be a woman without your uterus, tube, and ovaries, and will have eliminated any chance of most female cancers to less than 1%!

LaKrystal Warren
LaKrystal Warren
LaKrystal Warren