OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Well i have the merina in me for 2 almost 3 years and i was

Customer Question
cramping and i had a...
Well i have the merina in me for 2 almost 3 years and i was cramping and i had a bleedin 2/3 days like 1 to 2 pads out threw the day and it stoped and i had tooken a pregnacy test yesterday it said it was negtieve do you know what could cause it?
JA: The Gynecologist will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Gynecologist before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
4/7/2016
OB GYN Doctor: LaKrystal Warren,
 replied 1 year ago
LaKrystal Warren

Hello, I am an OB/GYN and I can help you with your question.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
lmost...
Well i have the merina in me for 2 almost 3 years and i was cramping and i had a bleedin 2/3 days like 1 to 2 pads out threw the day and it stoped and i had tooken a pregnacy test yesterday it said it was negtieve do you know what could cause it??
OB GYN Doctor: LaKrystal Warren,
 replied 1 year ago

What you are describing is a normal side effect of Mirena, even if you have never had symptoms like that in the past. The Mirena works by releasing a small amount of a hormone called progesterone each day. It keeps you from getting pregnant by thinning the lining of your uterus and thickening cervical mucus. As a result of the thin endometrial lining, some people have irregular periods after it is placed and then they have a very light period each month or no period at all. Some people have unpredictable bleeding patterns and can bleed randomly. The pattern of bleeding can change the longer the Mirena is in place. It is not a cause for concern, just annoying to have irregular bleeding. Anytime the Mirena is in place, it can cause cramping, especially if you are bleeding. It does not mean that it has moved or that you are more likely to get pregnant. The Mirena is over 99% effective, so chances of pregnancy are low, that is why your pregnancy test is negative.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
does it mean im pregnant or not im coufused.?
OB GYN Doctor: LaKrystal Warren,
 replied 1 year ago

No, you are not pregnant. The Mirena is in place and the bleeding is a normal side effect.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok ty. cause my doctor said he wants to do an ulrtasound and bloodwork so i been panicing and worrying because i dont know what he could be in me if i havent taken out my birth control
OB GYN Doctor: LaKrystal Warren,
 replied 1 year ago

He probably just wants to make sure that the IUD is in the right place and check your blood count to make sure you are not anemic. It is very unlikely that you are pregnant if you are using the Mirena for birth control.

LaKrystal Warren
LaKrystal Warren
LaKrystal Warren