Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

How to make your period lighter?

Customer Question

I am in a long distance relationship and even though I started BCP to avoid getting my period , I started sporting today and I am seeing him tomorrow . I purchased a soft cup and it says it is safe to use during sex. Is there any risk of me not being able to get it out after intercourse ? Is there anything I can do to make my period lighter?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

When did your last period start? When did you start on the pill?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My last period was in mid February so I was late , which is why I requested the pill and I started it last Sunday , but as I said , today I started spotting

So you didn't have a period in March?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I didn't

Starting a period when your period is late is sure to lead to breakthrough bleeding.

I don't think there is any significant risk of your not being able to get the cup out.

The best thing you can do to keep your period as light as possible would be to keep taking the pill, and perhaps doubling up (2 pills daily).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I then take two pills tonight and two pills tomorrow ? Like when you forget pills ?

If you already took 1 pill today, then take one more, and 2 pills tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't taken a pill today because I take it at night time , so I will take two pills tonight and two tomorrow.

Correct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the bleeding had stopped but now it started again . I'm not due for the other two pills until 10:00pm. Is it dangerous if I take them now so I don't bleed?

It's not dangerous. You can take two now.