How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Norm S. Your Own Question
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 11235
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Norm S. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Could my birth control pills be causing a sore on my genital

Customer Question

Could my birth control pills be causing a sore on my genital area
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had negative blood test for herpes and negative swabs everytime I go to the doctor. only history is one pap with hpv about 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is one area that becomes painful about twice a month. Same area everytime.
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

I don't think it's possible that birth control pills would cause your soreness.

However, it's puzzling as to what might be the cause. A sore that comes and goes is usually due to herpes, but that generally doesn't come more than once a month, and a herpes swab would be positive.

I think I'd have to see the sore to make a good guess as to what causes it. Hopefully you've see an OB/GYN doctor or a dermatologist. They may be able to figure it out if a primary care doctor is not able to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would herpes only be in one spot? Do forms of cancer present as sores? It does not look like a herpes ulcer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also. It's kinda in the area what a barthlion cyst would be.
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Genital herpes can be in several spots, but when it comes back, it comes back to the same spots. I don't think that what you have is herpes.

Cancer can sometimes present as a sore or sores. But I think your doctor would have identified that.

There is a tiny opening where the Bartholin gland opens on the skin. Sometimes that gets infected, but I've never heard of it coming and going.

Related OB GYN Questions