OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

When I was 26 until 28 years old (2006-2008), I tested

Customer Question
positive for high risk HPV...
When I was 26 until 28 years old (2006-2008), I tested positive for high risk HPV and then had two paps that showed LSIL, followed by two colpos/biopsies that showed CIN1, followed by a pap that showed ASC-US that was not followed up with a colpo.I didn't have another pap until after having a baby in 2009, which was normal, and then another in 2012 that was also normal (no HPV tests done at either time because I was with a new doctor). I haven't been back to the doctor since.I have an appt for a couple of months from now but am very worried meanwhile about cervical cancer, as a friend who only ever had normal paps suddenly had full on cervical cancer. I just keep thinking it's been ten years since I first had HPV and I never had a test to confirm that I was negative for HPV. And I know paps have high levels of false negative results. Is it possible that that CIN1 could have turned into full blown cancer over the past 10 years, in spite of a couple of normal paps? I feel really stupid for not requesting more HPV testing or being back to the gyno in so long.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/1/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 1 year ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello, I'm Dr Manos, M.D., board certified ObGyn. Most women that show up positive for HPV develop an immunity to the viral changes that lead to cancer of the cervix. Smoking, poor nutrition and genetic tendencies can increase the risk for cancer of the cervix. HPV testing after a positive test doesn't matter, it means more regular Pap tests and less smoking and dietary problems. There is less cancer of the cervix overall that probably reflects less women smoking. There is a vaccine that stimulates the immune system to protect against HPV but having the HPV virus does stimulate immunity in most instances. You need to get caught up with your pap exams.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i had 3 abnormal paps followed by 2 normal...but the last was 4 years ago. If this one is normal, what would you recommend for follow up frequency considering all the false negatives? Is it possible that the CIN1 has progressed all the way to cancer over the last decade?
Not likely to cancer if you haven't smoked. A yearly pap will be dependable for the most patients with HPV in the past.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was a social smoker back when this was all going on, but haven't had a cigarette since about 2008 (normal paps were in 2009 and 2012).
It was good you stopped
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I feel that I shouldn't wait another month to have a pap. I'm totally freaked out. I didn't know smoking was a risk factor and I didn't realize paps had such high false negative rates!
If there are dysplasias of the cervix they could show negative. Invasive cancer would always show on a Pap smear. I've never seen one not show something.
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN