OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I have vaginismus and would like to know if there is any ob

Customer Question
gyn in NYC who would...
I have vaginismus and would like to know if there is any ob gyn in NYC who would perform fertility tests with sedation ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
3/29/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 1 year ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello, I'm Dr Manos, M.D., board certified ObGyn. You pose a multifaceted question in finding a Gyn doctor that can evaluate your fertility with vaginismus creating difficulty in basic examination of the pelvic exam. Have you had a Gyn exam in the past and has the subject been discussed as far as vaginismus is concerned. Are you not using contraception and haven't been able to conceive in a years time?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a 5 year old daughter, having intercourse with my husband is not a problem for me. When it comes to vaginal exams I get nervous and can't relax during the exam. It's impossible to insert anything. We have been trying to con krv for the past year without any success. Now it's time to see a specialist and I am freaking out.
Your husband is father of your daughter? If so, he's the only man you've been with so that a Pap smear isn't so important. A bimanual exam can be replaced by a transvaginal ultrasound where the probe is thinner than a tampon. Then the history taking about periods and menstrual cycle lengths can be done. What I'm saying it could be possible to get around your pelvic exam vaginismus. You just have to find a Gyn doc that has flexibility in the NYC area. I don't have any contacts anymore as they are retired or passed on. I'd start looking locally where you live and inquire by phone with some offices to sense where the flexible docs can be found.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My husband is the only men that I have been in my life. I really don't have any gynecological problems. My periods are on time, every 28 days, no pain. I just need a doctor who will understand. Thank You so much for your answers.
Had you been on bcp's until last year? Your periods last 5 days? No cramps with period?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have never used the birth control pills in my life. When I get my period only my back is paining a little bit. And the periods are 5 days.
Well, nothing is coming up in my mind to zero in on common stuff that can be off. Go the flexible route and good luck.
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN