OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Okay so I have the Skyla IUD in place and a few nights ago I

Customer Question
had sex...the sex was pretty...
Okay so I have the Skyla IUD in place and a few nights ago I had sex...the sex was pretty painful but it could have hurt for a variety of reasons. I checked and the strings were in place, but I swear I could feel the bottom of the IUD - is that normal or should I schedule an appointment to make sure the IUD is still doing its job?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/28/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 1 year ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

It's definitely not normal to feel the bottom of the IUD. If you really did, that means that the IUD is not properly in place, and will be less effective.

I would schedule an appointment to have it checked.

If the doctor can feel the IUD at your visit, it might be possible to insert it farther inside the uterus where it belongs. Otherwise it can be removed, and another inserted if you wish.

If the doctor is not able to feel the bottom of the IUD, an ultrasound can ascertain whether or not it's in the correct position. Best wishes.

Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN