How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Ted Manos Your Own Question
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 702
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr Ted Manos is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been having itching and burning around the opening of

Customer Question

Hello I have been having itching and burning around the opening of my vagina and inside of my vagina walls during sex for the past 9 years. It happens during sex and it feels like my walls are set on fire from the friction of the penis. It also feels itchy and raw even if I'm not having sex. The thing is it happens a week 1/2 before my period, during my period and a week 1/2 after my period. So I only have like 4 says where my vagina is normal and sex feels amazing. I have been swabbed while having symptoms and everything comes back normal. I have taken diflucan, flagyl, and even birth control pills just in case it's hormonal.I even try lubrication and it doesn't seem to do much. I just want to know what this is and how to treat it. I do know it started after I got off the shot in 2007 and when I came on my period I used s scented maxi pad and ever since then a week before and after my period it's like hell for me. And it happened during 2 of my 3 pregnancies. I couldn't have sex during my pregnancies because my vagina was dry and had a burning feeling inside my vagina walls and the outside of my vagina during sex. Please help me figure out what this is and how can it be treated. Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


You need to see a specialist and you ob should refer you.

We do not diagnose and treat here.

However, this sounds like it IS hormonal, given its relation to your period.

Birth control pills are not hormonal treatment, they are birth control.

You need someone trained in hormone therapy.

A good list is here

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Manos, M.D., board certified, ObGyn. I read the problem you shared and it's not an obvious infection. It could be a problem with your natural lubrication that ends up with symptoms from friction. Nothing works well to replace natural lubrication. You have about four days where everything works and does that include your natural lubrication? If you lubricate well for that short period of time then what would cause that. In women, natural lubrication is the arousal phase of sex. However, once you start having dryness, you anticipate it and it frustrates you and your partner. It's easy to understand when you consider the male arousal problem in not having an erection. Most younger men have a problem when it didn't happen one time and they worry and it becomes a problem. If you have four good days you should have more. You should discuss this with your partner and don't have penetration until you are nice and wet. I counseled many couples with arousal problems that they overcame. I don't know what else it could be.